Detox tips to get you started for the new year
Christmas was the time to truly eat, drink and be merry! We all deserve to let our hair down once in a while and the holidays are the time to do it. Though we tend to also feel the consequences of eating whatever we want and drinking a bit more than we should.
2015 is now here! Below is a short list of some detoxification tips to help speed your body’s recovery and get your body going for the new year.
- Drink water! And lots of it. We underestimate the body’s need to have around 3 litres of water put into it each day. Our body is made up of mostly water and drinking alcohol definitely dehydrates it.
- Buy a green powder. Green powders should contain ingredients such as spriulina, chlorella, alfalfa, barely grass and wheat grass to name a few. These all help to put minerals, amino acids, vitamins and omega 3s into the body. It also alkalises the body.
- Juicing! Juice everything that is dark green or red. Vegetables such as kale, zucchini, silverbeet, radish and beetroot all detoxify the liver and cleanse the blood and bowel. You can add 1-2 pieces of fruit to your juice, though fruit should be kept at a minimum. Using fruits such as pineapple or grapefruit are good as they are natural fat burners and digest aids.
- Herbal teas. Teas such as dandelion, nettle, fennel, mint, cardamom and aniseed are good for blood cleansing, liver cleansing and aid in digestion. Drink 3-4 times a day.
- Sweat it out! It’s time to start ridding toxins the old fashioned way and that’s through the skin. Getting back into an exercise routine is a great way to flush your system, tone up and re energize.